Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Server
- Platform: Windows
- Manufacturer: Symantec
- Type: Retail Boxed, Full Edition
- MPN: 14173718
- Stock Code: 024223
- More: Backup Exec 12.5
- Availability: Unavailable
This product is no longer available to purchase.
Please see our Related Products section for an alternative product or for an up to date version of this software.
Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Window Servers is the gold standard in Windows data protection for physical and virtual systems, providing comprehensive disk and tape backup and recovery support for Windows-based environments. Continuous data protection and patent-pending Granular Recovery Technology for critical Microsoft applications helps to ensure that business critical data is always protected and efficiently restored in seconds.
KEY FEATURES OF BACKUP EXEC v12.5:
- Market leading data protection for physical and virtual server environments
- Patent-pending Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) recovers critical Microsoft application data in seconds
- Centralized 3-Tier set-up, reporting and patch management
- Scalable heterogeneous support through remote Agents and Options
- Continuous Data Protection for Exchange, SQL and file servers
- Innovative multi-product integration with market leading technologies
- Online Storage protects data in off-site data centers
KEY BENEFITS OF BACKUP EXEC v12.5:
- Comprehensive data protection for Windows-based businesses including optimized support for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 portfolio and comprehensive data protection for VMware and Microsoft virtual server infrastructures.
- Eliminate Exchange mailbox backups, reduce recovery times, storage requirements and overall management resources.
- Easily update and manage a growing Backup Exec infrastructure throughout a Windows data center, or across remote offices from a single console.
- Prevent data loss on heterogeneous servers and maximize performance with supported protection for NAS NDMP filers and devices and SAN environments
- Eliminates the backup window and ensures recovery point objectives are easily met for Exchange, File Servers, SQL servers and desktop data.
- Integrated security, backup and archive functionality, further providing complete data protection for growing organizations.
NEW FEATURES OF BACKUP EXEC v12.5:
Comprehensive Data Protection for VMware Infrastructures and Microsoft Virtual Servers
Expanded virtual server data protection with two new virtual Agents! Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures and Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Virtual Servers (including Hyper-V)
- Quickly restore virtual server files and folders from a single pass backup - save time and storage costs by eliminating a redundant file level backup
- Easily backup an unlimited number of virtual guest machines to disk or tape for added flexibility and savings
- Fast, efficient data protection for physical and virtual server environments from a single console
Market Leading Data Protection for the Comprehensive Microsoft Windows 2008 Server Portfolio
Complete data protection for the latest Windows Server 2008 portfolio including Windows Server 2008, Windows Small Business Server 2008, new Essential Business Server 2008 and SQL 2008 databases
- Complete data protection for Windows Small Business Server 2008
- Integrated data protection for Windows Essential Business Server 2008 through a single console. Unique, easy easy to manage Backup Exec 12.5 configuration set-up and monitoring through the EBS administration console
- SQL 2008 point in time recovery and integrated support for file stream and SQL database compression
Expanded Granular Recovery benefits for SharePoint Server
Backup Exec Agent for SharePoint now provides new flexibility to restore SharePoint documents, sites and list items from a single pass backup
- Restore SharePoint server documents, sites and list items in seconds through patent pending granular recovery technology
- Added flexibility to restore individual SharePoint web parts including: calendars, folders, contacts, etc.
Backup Exec Infrastructure Manager*
Backup Exec Infrastructure Manager is powered by market leading Altiris technology and allows administrators to easily inventory and existing Backup Exec environment to quickly locate both protected and unprotected systems, deploy new Backup Exec components to unprotected systems and easily upgrade existing Backup Exec components to the latest version.
- Reduce total cost of ownership with simplified license discovery, inventory and patch management
- Easily view and assess existing Backup Exec components and environment through an easy to manage network map user interface
* Available second half of Symantec's 2009 fiscal year
Enhanced protection for NDMP enabled NAS devices
Backup Exec NDMP option now protects NDMP configurations directly attached to the media server and in remote locations including Storage Area Network (SAN) environments
- Added scalability and Improved NDMP backup performance
- Automated NDMP data duplication to tape, reducing backup management.
Remote Media Server Agent for Linux Servers
Enhanced Linux server data protection with new support for direct attached storage configurations running off of remote Linux servers.
- Increase Linux server storage flexibility and backup performance with the Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers
- Reduced bandwidth requirements for backup jobs on remote Linux servers.
Backup Exec 12.5 now comes standard with Open File protection and disaster recovery support for every Media Server and Agent for Windows System license, providing complete data and system protection for growing Windows environments.
- Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) included with a Media Server or Agent for Windows System license
- Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) included with a Media Server or Agent for Windows System license
Specifications / System Requirements
|Package Type||Retail Boxed Package|
|Licence Type||Complete Package|
|Licence Quantity||1 User|
|Operating System||Windows 2000 Server SP4, Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows Storage Server 2003 SP1, Windows 2003 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Premium, Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Standard|
|Min CPU||Intel Pentium, Xeon, AMD, or compatible|
|Min HDD||805 MB|
|Min RAM||256 MB (512 MB recommended)|
|Peripheral Devices||CD- or DVD-ROM drive|
|Other Software Requirements||Network interface card or a virtual network adapter card|
For a complete list of supported environments, refer to the Backup Exec hardware and software compatibility list.Operating Systems Supported
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows Essential Business Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family (SP1).
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 family.
- Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003.(SP1)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server family.(SP4, Update Rollup 1 for Windows SP4) (SP4 is min for support of SQLExpress 2005)
- For Windows Small Business Server, please see Backup Exec for Windows Small Business Server
- VMware ESX Server 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5
- VMware Infrastructure 3 (replacement/rename for ESX Server)
- VMware Server 1.0 (replacement/rename for GSX Server)
- VMware GSX Server 3.1 and 3.2
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2
Note: for Mini-filter drivers (needed for Exchange granular support) Only certain versions of Windows Server 2000 and Windows Server 2003 support minifilters. Specifically: Windows Server 2000 must have SP4 and the "Update Rollup 1 for Windows SP4".Windows Server 2003 must have at least SP1.
- Microsoft Windows Vista (Ultimate, Business & Enterprise) (Supported by Remote Agent for Windows Servers only)
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2) (SP2 is min for support for SQL Express 2005)
Note: Storage Provisioning will require Window 2003 R2 or Windows 2008. It will also depend on VDS 1.1
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
- Service Pack 1 is required for SQL Server 2005 Express
- Intel Pentium, Xeon, AMD, or compatible
Memory--Backup Exec Media Server
Note: RAM Requirements may vary depending on the operations performed, the options installed, and the specific computer configuration.
- Required: 256 MB RAM
- Recommended: 512 MB RAM (or more for better performance)
Memory--Backup Exec CASO Server
Note: RAM requirements may vary depending on the number of media servers being supported.
- Required: 512 MB RAM
- Recommended: 1 GB RAM
- 20 MB above the Windows recommended size for total paging file size (total for all disk volumes)
Note: Disk space requirements may vary depending on operations performed, the options installed, and the specific system configuration. Backup Exec database and catalogs require additional space.
- 696 MB (Typical Installation)
- 805 MB (includes all options)
- Network interface card or a virtual network adapter card
- CD-ROM drive
- (Recommended) A mouse
- (Optional for pager notification) Modem supported by Microsoft Windows
- (Optional for printer notification) Printer supported by Microsoft Windows
Backup Exec requires at least one storage media drive and/or single-drive robotic library and the appropriate controller card. Removable storage devices and non-removable hard drives can also be targeted for backups. Note: Support for a single robotic library drive is available when you purchase Backup Exec. To enable support for additional robotic library drives, you must purchase Backup Exec Library Expansion Option.
Product information is advisory only. Specifications and compatibility should be checked with the manufacturer before order. Images are for illustrative purposes only.